The West Florida Public Libraries is not responsible for personal items left in the library by patrons. All unclaimed items found on the premises are disposed of in accordance with the following guidelines:
- Lost and found items will be dated and stored for a period of 10 days at central sites in all library facilities. Reasonable attempts will be made to contact the owners to reclaim their lost items.
- If the owner of a lost and found item visits the library and satisfactorily identifies the item, the item will be returned to its owner.
- Hazardous and perishable items are discarded immediately. Items such as food, personal care, baby bottles, or water bottles will be disposed of immediately.
- Unclaimed identification documents and items, including credit cards, wallets, and laptops, will be forwarded to the Pensacola Police or Escambia County Sheriff’s Department.
- All other items, if not claimed in a timely manner, are disposed of by being discarded, turned over to the Police or Sheriff’s Department, or donated to charity, as appropriate.
Reviewed and approved by the West Florida Public Libraries Board of Governance on Dec. 16, 2019